Legal Secretary / Receptionist
This is a combined role working as a legal secretary each morning and a receptionist each afternoon.
Job description – Legal Secretary in the Private Client Team
1. Copy and audio typing of letters, file notes, Wills, LPAs and some conveyancing forms
2. Use of case management system to progress matters
3. Opening files and preparing client care documentation
4. Ensuring that matters are progressed as quickly and accurately as possible
5. Dealing with incoming post as delegated by the fee earner
6. Recording all correspondence including emails on the case management system
7. Carrying out practical steps to progress a file as delegated by the fee earner and dependent on the experience of the secretary (including where appropriate drafting Wills and LPAs and Probate documents)
8. Requesting searches and insurances from our agents
9. Ensuring that the outgoing post leaves the office on time
10. Taking telephone calls on behalf of the fee earner and assisting callers wherever possible
11. Dealing with financial aspects of the files including drawing echits for money in and out as appropriate
12. Preparing files for archiving and bringing them to the attention of the fee earner; ensuring that these files are signed off and sent to the receptionist for archiving off the system
13. Keeping the fee earner’s files tidy and in good order
14. Ensuring that filing is up to date
15. Liaising with the other secretary – this is a job share position.
Job Description - Receptionist
16. Answering the telephone and directing calls to the right person in the practice.
17. Dealing with callers in person to the office.
18. Taking identification documents from clients for the making of certified copies.
19. Collecting, opening and date stamping incoming post and ensuring that this is seen by a Partner where possible before distribution.
20. Collecting, franking and delivering outgoing post to the post office and ensuring that outgoing post leaves the office on time each day.
21. Dealing with special and recorded delivery items.
22. Deal with the administration of the Wills, Deeds and Securities database including logging documents to be retained by the practice, logging outgoing documents and keeping the storage in good order.
23. Looking after the Meeting Room including making sure it is not double-booked; supplying meetings with refreshments when requested and keeping the room tidy throughout the day.
24. Acting pro-actively to ensure that the office runs smoothly including liaising where necessary with IT providers, telephone providers and printer/copier providers.
25. Liaising with other Receptionist – this is a job share position.
26. Any other tasks as reasonably delegated by the Practice Manager or within the practice including providing cover for secretaries and reception colleagues as and when necessary.